Coily hair is a beautiful and versatile hair type, but it can also be challenging to care for. Here are some tips to help you keep your coily hair healthy and looking its best using Versum and Genus products:
Wash your hair less often
Coily hair tends to be drier than other hair types, so it's important to wash it less often. Washing your hair too often can strip away the natural oils that help keep it hydrated. Aim to wash your hair every two to three days, or as needed.
Use a sulfate-free shampoo
Sulfates are harsh detergents that can strip away the natural oils from your hair. Look for a sulfate-free shampoo that is designed for coily hair.
Use a conditioner
A conditioner is essential for keeping your coily hair hydrated and frizz-free. Apply conditioner to the ends of your hair, focusing on the areas that are most prone to dryness.
Use a leave-in conditioner
A leave-in conditioner can help to define your curls and prevent frizz. Apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair while it is still damp.
Avoid heat styling
Heat styling can damage your coily hair, so it's best to avoid it as much as possible. If you must use heat styling tools, use a heat protectant spray to help protect your hair.
Here are a few techniques that can help you style your coily hair:
- Plop: Plopping is a technique that helps to define curls and reduce frizz. To plop, apply leave-in conditioner to your hair while it is still damp. Then, gather your hair into a loose ponytail and place it on top of your head. Secure it with a hair clip or scrunchie. Leave your hair in the plop for 20-30 minutes, or until it is dry.
- Diffuse: Diffusing is a gentle way to dry your hair that helps to preserve your curls. To diffuse, set your hair dryer to a low heat setting and use a diffuser attachment. Hold the diffuser about 6 inches away from your hair and rotate it as you dry.
- Finger coiling: Finger coiling is a technique that helps to create defined curls. To finger coil, apply leave-in conditioner to your hair while it is still damp. Then, divide your hair into small sections. Starting at the ends, twist each section of hair around your finger. Hold the curl in place for a few seconds, then release it.
With a little care and attention, you can keep your coily hair looking its best using Versum and Genus products.
Here are some additional tips for caring for coily hair:
- Use a wide-tooth comb or detangling brush to brush your hair. Brushing your hair when it is dry can cause breakage and frizz.
- Protect your hair from the sun and wind. The sun and wind can dry out your hair and make it frizzy.
- Get regular trims. Regular trims will help to remove split ends and keep your hair healthy.